Friday 12 December 2008

TROUBLE BREWING (A short story) Part 2

After Bill had left, the TV repairman turned up. It was about time too.
‘Huh, it’s about time you turned up!’ Liz snapped at the man. Mumbling some vague apologies, he then asked to see the TV so Liz showed him into the lounge. He turned on the set and pulled his bag of tools towards him as the picture fuzzily emerged on the screen. Liz made the man some tea as he fiddled and prodded the set with screwdrivers and long-nosed pliers. He flicked through the channels whistling and slurped his tea noisily. It took him about half an hour to repair the set and he left grinning, assuring Liz an invoice for his services would be in the post.
‘Well you can bleeding well wait as long for your money as I’ve had to wait for you to turn up,’ said Liz closing the door behind him.
‘Yeah,’ I agreed. ‘It was a bit of a cheek!’
‘Four bloody weeks I had to wait,’ Liz bleated. ‘I rang him up nine times!’
‘God, really?’ I said although I definitely believed her and had witnessed her making several of the nine calls she’d claimed to have made. It did seem a bit much. ‘It does seem a bit much,’ I added.
‘A bit much!’ Liz protested. ‘Four weeks—that’s a MONTH!’
‘Mmm,’ I considered. ‘It’s not as if it were only a few days or a week, a fortnight even.’
‘No, it was a whole month!’
‘Still, at least it wasn’t as long as three months,’ I injected cheerily hoping Liz would lighten up. ‘Mmm,’ I said then. My tea was cold again.
‘Fancy a cup of tea, Liz?’ I was polite enough to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment